Sheldon Lloyd


Right now I am a webdeveloper but 2018 is the year I plan on becoming a Web comic creator as well.

Like many other kids in 90s, I watched a lot of Movies, Saturday morning cartoons, and anime adapted from comics and manga. But once I discovered and started to read the comics and manga from these shows I became inspired and wanted to create a comic of my own.

I started working on my own comic at the ripe old age of 8, by 11 Started drawing the actual comic.

This was at the time of the .com bubble, so I didn’t want to make just any comic. It was going to be what I thought at the time to be revolutionary ― I was going to put it on the web! As you can probably tell I was oblivious to the existence of webcomics at the time.

Unfortunately by the time I got in high school I found new interests on of which included webdevelopment, and stopped drawing and writing so I never finished. By the end of college, I got back into comics and manga. With this came a renewed interest in art so I've started working on my original comic idea again.

Follow me on my journey



WebcomicX is an opensource somewhat opinionated webcomic content management system built using C# and Razor. It uses XML instead of a SQL database.

Case Study

Learning from the success and failures of comiCharacters I made my next project WebcomicX opensource and moved away from the idea of following MVP principles to the T.

I wanted to create WebcomicX to be a CMS option that is not heavyweight like Wordpress. The first step in accomplishing this was removing the database. This eliminates the need to set up a database so WebcomicX will work out of the box. A side benefit of not having a database is that server cost can potentially be cheaper.

Since WebcomicX is targeted towards publishing webcomics I could focus on optimizing it for that purpose. This meant that I could do things like added captions making webcomics more accessible in terms of aligning with WCAG guidelines.

I also wanted to make things easier not just for the readers but for creators as well. Many creators like to organize.

Not everyone can or wants to use CSS and HTML to edit their own website for their comic. This why WebcomicX also has a customization feature. This had the most extensive work put into it. I had to make it as easy as possible to edit and preview a theme without making it live. I normally like to make sites usable without javascript. Unfortunately, the only way to make it work was to use a combination of JavaScript and C# along with cookies.

Doing research I found that a lot of webcomic creators tend to create a character profile page. To make this process easier the CMS also comes with a built-in character management system.

Beacause WebcomicX is focused on webcomics the blogging feature that comes with is bare bones. This is why I added the ability to link to your blogger, medium, or Wordpress blog.

In future releases, I plan on switching from XML to JSON making it a more standard Headless CMS.



A webcomic recommendation website the lets people discover, collect, and recommend comics from around the web.

Case Study

comiCharacters was made in response to me seeing a need for a place to help with mainly the promotion and to lesser degree discover of webcomics. There were not many solutions available at the time. The websites that did exist at the time was outdated.

At the time of comiCharacters inception, it was a website in which post and discover both webcomics and the characters they belong to the comic, Hence the name comiCharacters. Upon learning about starting with an MVP so as not to confuse user about what your product is meant to do.

What comicharacters was original supposed to look like

I choose one feature -- recommendation and double down on it. This meant removing any friction for recommending a webcomic. I also remove some images and decreased the size of other images. Leaving only what was necessary to the user. This was mainly to increase the google speed score of the site.

Ultimately condensing comiCharacters down to its MVP was the downfall as having characters along with the comic added to its uniqueness.

CSS SPA Portfolio

This is a “Meta-analysis” case study of the SPA portfolio in which you are reading this in.


A pure CSS single page application(SPA) portfolio site template that uses the :target selector to navigate pages and flexbox for the layout but degrades gracefully.

Case Study

I created a portfolio site not only for myself but for others as well so it needed to have decent backward compatibility for older browsers(IE 8 and up). This way the CSS will degrade gracefully in an older browser and if needed — it can be progressively enhanced with JavaScript.

The best way to do this while maintaining good usability was to have the home page also act as the navigation menu. It has four separate cards one for a resume, about page, recent projects, and blog posts.

The Html is organized so that the page starts with the content (about, resume and projects) and at the bottom are the Navigation cards.

This serves 2 purposes the first is that it allows people that don’t have target enabled browsers to get straight to the content. It also allows the main navigation to be easily hidden when someone navigates to one of the views using the target selector .view:taget~.main-nav.

To maintain a comfortable reading experience the copy is no more than 700 pixels wide. To keep consistency with the cards when viewing the contents of the cards while in desktop view the header is left-aligned while the copy is centered but perceived to be to the right when there is enough space.

Read the rest in my blog post on medium